Yes! As our tenant, you can now paint the interior walls of your apartment. PSOAS will take part in the material costs, as long as you follow the general guidelines below. This is how it goes:
1. PRESENT YOUR PAINTING PLAN TO THE PROPERTY SUPERVISOR FOR APPROVAL
The property supervisor will visit your apartment to check the current situation and approve the painting project. If there are no obstacles, select the best hue from the accent colour map together and calculate how much paint you are going to need. Finally, agree with the property supervisor on when they can come and check the finished paintwork. You can find the contact information for the property supervisor here.
2. PICK UP THE PAINTING EQUIPMENT FROM K-RAUTA
Equipment make a painter! The property supervisor will order the equipment from K-Rauta after the visit, and you can pick them up the following week day. At the cash register, you must pay for your personal share of the total sum, €15. The painting kit includes:
• Toolbox ERGO 19.5”
• Presto LF filler 200 ml
• Maalipesu 1L Tikkurila pre-painting washing liquid
• Paint roller FXA polyester 18 cm
• Shur Line Paint Edger
• Filler spatula PROF 100 mm
• Paint brush kit FXA 25/35/70 mm
• Masking tape FXA 25 mm x 50 m
• Sandpaper Mirka (230×280) 80/100
• Painter’s cap
• Mixing stick
• The ordered paints
3. MAKE THE PREPARATIONS
Good preparations equal successful painting project. That’s why you should take some time to prepare before you pick up the paintbrush.
Filling in chips and holes
• Read the instructions for the filler.
• Fill in the possible marks and screw holes with the filler before painting.
• Smooth out the filled surface as well as possible using sandpaper
• Clean the surface from dust
Protection and borders
• Cover the floor in front of the wall to be painted
• For example, you can use newspapers, plastic or cardboard to cover the floor. Be careful to not smear paint onto unprotected areas on the soles of your feet.
• Cover light switches and sockets with masking tape
• Decide the borders of the area to be painted in advance
4. PAINT RIGHT
Get it done in one! With regard to the wall to be painted, select as unbroken wall as possible, without any cupboards or doors. Always paint the whole wall at once so that the end result is smooth. Reserve enough time for the work, at least two days.
• Read the instructions of the paint you will use.
• Clean the wall surface to be painted prior to painting with Maalipesu pre-painting washing liquid
• Keep a container of water and some paper close by for cleaning spatters
• Mix the pain well
• Paint the surfaces twice. Painting a dark surface with a lighter colour may take up to three layers.
• While waiting for the layers of paint to dry, you can wrap up the roller and paintbrushes with cling film or put them in a carefully closed plastic bag.
5. DON’T FORGET THESE
You are all done! There are just a few things you need to do before you can sit back and enjoy the new and improved look of your apartment:
• Clean up after yourself and wash your painting equipment
• Ensure sufficient ventilation and air the room out
• Notify the property supervisor of the finished job and agree on an inspection
• Take photos (also of the different work stages)
• Share your joy! Share your painting project and its end result in social media using a hashtag #myPSOAShome
Accidents happen. If everything didn’t go quite as planned, please contact your property supervisor. We will advise and help you with any accidents and problems.
PSOAS offers rental apartments for students in Oulu
Learn more about the apartments and areas and fill in the application. PSOAS has shared apartments, studios and bigger apartments.