Your monthly rent includes water, electricity, Wifi, furniture and bed linen. The rent is determined by the PSOAS Board of Directors and the University of Oulu. The calculation is based on the actual operating costs. Exchange students’ apartments are typically empty during the summer months and this idle cost is taken into consideration in the rent calculation.
The rent is paid monthly, starting from the month you have made the agreement for housing. Please notice that the rent is always paid for the whole month regardless of the date of arrival or the date of departure. The rent payment instructions are sent to you by e-mail before your arrival and can also be found in your PSOAS file that is given to you when signing the tenancy agreement. The rent bill includes all the necessary bank codes that you need for the transfer. PSOAS has to receive the full amount mentioned in the bill so if you pay internationally, remember to make sure that the payment is a “full amount payment”. All bank fees must be paid by the tenant as well. PSOAS and the universities have the right to cancel the tenancy agreement after only one unpaid rent and can ask you to leave the flat immediately without giving a term of notice first.
Please notice that PSOAS does not send any confirmations about received rent payments and doesn’t need any receipts of them unless requested. As long as you use your personal reference number, the payment will register automatically. If you are ever unsure if the rent payment has arrived, you may ask us to check of course.
Instructions for paying the rent
1. Payment options:
- International transfer from your bank account in your home country
- paying through TransferWise www.transferwise.com
- paying in R-kioski, a local kiosk, if you have a Finnish social security number and phone number
Please note that rent cannot be paid in cash or by credit card at PSOAS office and the rent cannot be deducted from the deposit!
2. Due date for the rent is always the 5th of each month.
3. Always use the reference number when paying.
- You’ll find the reference number on the bottom of the paper.
- There is usually a separate field for the reference number when paying. If there isn’t, please write the reference number in the message field.
- If someone else pays the rent on your behalf, they must use your reference number.
- If you do not use the right reference number or inadvertently leave it out, your payment cannot be identified. As a result, we think you have not paid your rent.
5. You can pay all the rents at once or pay one rent per month.
ISEP-students and students coming from Washington College and UNCG within the bilateral agreements have to pay their rent beforehand in their home country.
Problems with paying?
If you are unable to pay your rent in time, please contact us.